Early Childhood EducationDEC PROGRAM
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Early Childhood Education is a three (3) year DEC program that prepares students to work with, guide and educate children from the ages of 0 to 12. Graduates from this program may also take part in the management of a daycare center or move on to university studies in a related field.
The main function of an early childhood educator (ECE) is to create an environment that promotes the healthy physical, motor, cognitive, language, socio-affective and moral development of a child by establishing a caring relationship. In addition, the educator’s role is to develop, organize, lead and evaluate educational activities that promotes the overall development of the children under their care.
The ECE must not only ensure the health, security, and well-being of the children under their care but also, their own health. Students in this program learn to self-regulate by organizing a secure daycare environment, where daily activities are not overwhelming, using stress management techniques. In this respect, learning to balance and renew one’s energies through a healthy lifestyle represents an essential competency that an ECE must master in order to assume their numerous responsibilities and tasks. Additionally, the ECE must develop their ability to reflect on their own practice within the context of their life-long development. A reflection on one’s practice is considered a useful means of personal and professional development in the field of education.
DEC / Career or Pre-university
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
English or French
The need for qualified Early Childhood Educators is a consistent need in the Quebec workforce.
Browse available jobs in Quebec here.
IS THIS FOR YOU?
The Early Childhood Education DEC program is for the student who is interested in working with children to assist them in developing, physically and mentally, while also teaching children about the world around them. If you are someone who enjoys working with children, you are patient and you have a natural instinct to take charge of a situation, then this program may be for you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
Graduates will be well prepared to do the following:
- Analyze the work function
- Observe the behavior of the child and identify developmental needs
- Conduct their work safely in the workplace
- Establish a significant emotional relationship with children
- Intervene with regard to child health
- Understand nutrition for children
- Communicate in the workplace
- Analyze the family and social context of a child to determine their effects on behavior
- Analyze the needs or provide assistance to a child
- Make use of creativity in professional interventions
- Define the pedagogical approach to adopt
- Design global development activities
- Organize and facilitate educational activities
- Work in a team
- Establish a partnership with parents and resource persons
- Take appropriate action with respect to the behavior of children
- Develop and revise curriculums
- Arrange private child care
- Provide educational services to a group of children
You may be interested in our two (2) year Early Childhood Education AEC program.
GOALS OF THE GENERAL EDUCATION COMPONENT
The general education components are common to all pre-university programs and contribute to the development of twelve competencies that are associated with the three aims of college education:
- To educate students to live responsibly in society:
- Demonstrate independence and creativity in thought and action
- Demonstrate rational, critical and ethical thinking
- Develop strategies that promote reflection on their knowledge and actions
- Pursue the development of a healthy and active lifestyle
- Assume their social responsibilities
- To help students integrate cultural knowledge into their studies:
- Recognize the influence of culture and lifestyle on the practice of physical activity and sports
- Recognize the influence of the media, sciences or technology on culture and lifestyle
- Analyse works in philosophy or the humanities emanating from different historical periods and movements
- Appreciate literary and non-literary works of other artistic expressions emanating from different historical periods and movementsTo help students integrate cultural knowledge into their studies:
- To help students master language as a tool for thought, communication and openness to the world:
- Improve communication in the second language
- Master the basic rules of discourse and argumentation
- Refine oral and written communication in the language of instruction
Graduates of the Early Childhood Education DEC program have the option of advancing to university-level studies. The program fully prepares students to apply to higher education in:
- Child Studies
- Elementary Education
- Educational Psychology
The teachers were very well prepared, with great experience in the field of Early Childhood Education, so it was not so much the theory but their life experiences that gave me more knowledge. When I finished my DEC in Early Childhood Education, I felt very well prepared to start my professional career as a daycare educator.
WHY CHOOSE THE DEC PROGRAM?
The main differences between the Early Childhood Education AEC and DEC programs at TAV:
AEC (ATTESTATION D’ÉTUDES COLLÉGIALES) PROGRAM:
- 2 years to complete
- Students are only required to complete program-specific courses
- There is no Ministerial Exit Exam
- AEC graduates must accumulate three years of experience before being recognized as qualified educators for the purposes of satisfying the requirements set by the Ministère de la Famille et des Ainés
- AEC graduates are paid as per the pay scale for the profession
DEC (DIPLÔME D’ÉTUDES COLLÉGIALES) PROGRAM:
- 3 years to complete
- Students are required to complete a general education component of their studies in addition to program-specific courses
- DEC graduates are immediately recognized as qualified educators for the purposes of satisfying requirements set by the Ministère de la Famille et des Ainés
- DEC graduates are paid on a higher echelon as per the pay scale for the profession