I AMTAV COLLEGE
I AM …
A NEW TAV STUDENT
Are you a new student at TAV College?
Starting at a new school can make anyone feel full of anxiety! However, we have you covered. This webpage has been designed to welcome new local students to TAV College by suggesting a list of various webpages where they can learn everything they need to know about the College.
WELCOME TO TAV COLLEGE
Here is a suggested method for learning about the College:
- Letter from the Director
- Student Services
- Meet our staff
- Sexual Violence Resources and Assistance
- Learn about how to use Omnivox (learning management system)
- Learn about extracurricular activities
- Learn about The TAV Times (our student newspaper)
- Follow the College on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to stay in the loop.
For pre-university students, it is also recommended that you check out the following:
HOW TO REGISTER
Each semester, you will have to re-register, before a specified deadline, in order to:
- Inform the College that you plan on returning the following semester
- To build your course schedule
DEADLINES AND PROCEDURES
The registration period for the Fall 2021 semester will be open between April 15th and June 15th, 2021.
- All first-semester students will be pre-registered for a standard set of courses. You will receive your schedule and progression by email together with a confirmation request.
- *There is a $60 registration fee (per semester), which will be billed once your registration is confirmed.
Should you have any questions regarding schedule, course load, program structure, or wish to modify your registration, please request an online meeting with your program’s academic advisor.
**Please note that you can request modifications or cancel your registration until September 3rd, 2021.
Also, see the webpage: I Am a Current Student
BEING A TAV STUDENT
As a registered TAV College student, you are eligible to:
- A free private gym membership
- Attend events hosted by the College
- Join and take part in our clubs and/or cooperatives
- Vote in TCSA elections and referendums
- Use on-campus study rooms
- Use computer labs (with permission)
- Get a Microsoft Office 365 account
NEW TO COLLEGE-LEVEL STUDIES? LEARN ABOUT PLAGIARISM
Something that many college students are not properly exposed to in high school is plagiarism and source citing. Understanding plagiarism and how to avoid it will become an increasingly important part of your higher education learning experience. Below are four recommended steps to quickly learning about plagiarism and citing sources.
We invite you to watch this short video produced by the Goodwill Community Foundation Inc.
Unknown Author. [GCFLearnFree.org]. (2018, September 13). Avoiding Plagiarism [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZsButRaHs
Download a copy of the TAV College plagiarism information brochure. Click here to download.
Learn about the College’s academic integrity policy. This policy outlines what is considered to be plagiarism at TAV as well as the process of what would happen in a case of plagiarism. Click here to view (PDF, page 14).
In English writing, there are three major types of citation styles: MLA (Modern Language Association), APA (American Psychological Association) and the Chicago style. A style refers to the way in which the source that is being cited appears within a written text.
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University has perhaps the most thorough explanation of the various citation styles as well as other academic writing guides that is available on the web. For more information, including specific citation examples, visit the OWL at Purdue website:
LEARN ABOUT THE BANQ
The BAnQ (Bibliothèque et Archives Nationales du Québec) is a multi-location, public access library and archive center managed by the Government of Quebec. Some great features are:
- Membership to the BAnQ is free of charge for all Quebec residents
- With your membership, you gain access to millions of academic publications, multimedia information, and national archival materials.
- Also with your membership to the BAnQ, you gain access to use their library space for studying or research purposes.
- For more information about memberships, click here.
JOIN THE BAnQ
To join the BAnQ, all you have to do is fill out this form on their website and your membership information will be sent to you by email.