EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATIONAEC PROGRAM
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The goal of the two (2) year Early Childhood Education certificate / AEC program is to train students on how to provide educational services to a group of children, from 0 – 12 years old, in an early childhood care setting.
The main function of an Early Childhood Educator (ECE) is to create an environment that promotes the physical, motor, cognitive, language, socio-affective and moral development of a child by establishing in them a caring relationship. In addition, the educator’s role is to develop, organize, lead and evaluate educational activities that promote overall childhood development.
The ECE must not only ensure the health, security, and well-being of the children under their care but also, their own health. Students in this program learn to self-regulate by organizing a daycare environment that is secure and not overwhelming as well as through various stress-management techniques. In this respect, learning to balance and renew one’s energies through a healthy lifestyle represents an essential competency that an ECE must master in order to assume their numerous responsibilities and tasks.
AEC / Certificate
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
English or French
The need for qualified Early Childhood Educators is a consistent need in the Quebec workforce.
Browse available jobs in Quebec here.
WHY STUDY AT TAV COLLEGE?
Instructors in this program bring their personal success stories and experiences to the classroom and guide students towards a successful career as a daycare teacher, daycare director, and/or early childhood educator. Our instructors are eager to share their knowledge and experiences with you in order for graduates to integrate well into the Quebec workforce.
Graduates of this program will be qualified to enter the workforce in any of the following professions:
- Early Childhood Educator
- Support staff in a primary education setting
- Daycare supervisor
- Daycare director
- Daycare business owner
Graduates of the Early Childhood Education AEC program will be prepared to do the following:
- Analyze the work function
- Observe and analyze the behavior of a child
- Identify the needs of a child or in relation to their overall development
- Conduct their work safely in the workplace
- Establish a significant emotional relationship with children
- Intervene with regard to child health
- Communicate effectively in the workplace
- Provide assistance to children
- Make use of creativity in professional interventions
- Design global development activities
- Organize and facilitate educational activities
- Take appropriate action with respect to the behavior of children
- Write and edit texts within the profession
WHY CHOOSE THE AEC PROGRAM?
The main differences between the Early Childhood Education AEC and DEC programs at TAV:
AEC (ATTESTATION D’ÉTUDES COLLÉGIALES) PROGRAM:
- 2 years to complete
- Students are only required to complete program-specific courses
- There is no Ministerial Exit Exam
- AEC graduates must accumulate three years of experience before being recognized as qualified educators for the purposes of satisfying the requirements set by the Ministère de la Famille et des Ainés
- AEC graduates are paid as per the pay scale for the profession
DEC (DIPLÔME D’ÉTUDES COLLÉGIALES) PROGRAM:
- 3 years to complete
- Students are required to complete a general education component of their studies in addition to program-specific courses
- DEC graduates are immediately recognized as qualified educators for the purposes of satisfying requirements set by the Ministère de la Famille et des Ainés
- DEC graduates are paid on a higher echelon as per the pay scale for the profession
- DEC graduates are able to advance to university-level studies