PLAGIARISMWHAT IS IT? HOW DO I AVOID IT?
Online Training: Avoiding Plagiarism
On this page, you will find three (3) resources to assist you in avoiding plagiarism throughout your studies. Please follow the parts of this online training consecutively (one after the other) followed by submitting the confirmation of understanding form.
Please refer to section 12.0., page 14, of the TAV College Institutional Policy on the Evaluation of Student Achievement to find our definitions and consequences for academic fraud and plagiarism.
By the end of this training session, you should be able to:
- Explain why it is important to cite your sources of information
- Explain what plagiarism is and how to avoid it using citations
- Explain which citation styles exist in academia
- How to use in-text citations
- How to create a reference list
- How to find resources for properly styling in-text citations as well as a reference list
- Explain the difference between a direct quotation and an indirect quotation
On This Page:
- Video: What Is Plagiarism? And, How Do I Avoid It?
- Self-Evaluation Quiz
- External Resources
- Confirmation of understanding
PART TWO: Self-Evaluation
PART THREE: EXTERNAL RESOURCES
Come back to this web page and use these resources as a reference for citing your sources properly.
Citation Formatting and Style Guides:
- APA (7th Ed.) – OWL at Purdue
- MLA (8th Ed.) – OWL at Purdue
- Chicago (17th Ed.) – OWL at Purdue
- Help & How-To Centre – Concordia University
- Word Citation Tool (Saade, E., 2021)
- EasyBib – Free Bibliography Generator
- Add citations to your document on Google Docs – Google Workspace Learning Center
- A Guide to Online Images Copyright and Fair Use Laws (Prager, D. January 25, 2019. Rival IQ.)
PART FOUR: Confirmation of understanding
What is this? Once you have watched the video, completed the self-evaluation, and browsed through the external resources, the final step is to confirm that you have understood the concepts discussed on this web page. Therefore, we ask that you fill out and submit the form below confirming your understanding.