Mobile Application Programming
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Mobile Application Programming is a two (2) year certificate program that prepares students for a career in the mobile application programming or interface design industries. This program provides specialized training in response to a growing demand for a labor-force in this industry sector. Upon completion of the program, students will have the necessary skills to develop native and web-based applications, both on the iOS and Android mobile platforms.
AEC / Certificate
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
Jan 25 (Winter), Aug 1 (Fall)
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR
Nov 30 (Winter), Apr 30 (Fall)
IS THIS FOR YOU?
With major growth in the use of mobile tools (smartphones, digital tablets, iWatches, etc.) the mobile application programmer (MAP) must adapt to the specificities and display settings on each type of device (constraints of a small screen, variety of screens, limited interaction capability, diversity of platforms, etc.)
A mobile app programmer has the option of versatility within this industry as they may work many parts of a mobile application, such as the creation of a new app, the adaptation of a website to a specific mobile platform, or the optimization of an existing application. They may be tasked with working in an Android or iOS environment for either the back-end or front-end of a project.
If you are someone who enjoys creative problem-solving mixed with coding and teamwork, then this program may be for you.
Based on the technical specifications and instructions sent by the project manager, the mobile application programmer (MAP) develops the technical requirements and programming of mobile applications. MAPs program the functionalities that correspond to the needs of the client.
Projects can be in the form of websites, online services, multimedia applications such as video games, or interactive media. MAPs are primarily responsible for ensuring the interactivity of the products and services that they produce.
An MAP will generally work with a team and will have the opportunity to combine various skills into one project. They define the links between the front-end display content and the algorithmic back-end coding, which allows for efficient processing by the mobile application.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION
This program is for adult clients who meet the following conditions:
- The candidate holds a high school diploma (DES) or has professional experience that is deemed sufficient by the College.
- Meets one of the following three conditions:
- Has interrupted their studies for at least two consecutive sessions or one school year; OR
- has completed at least one year of post-secondary education over a period of one year or more; OR
- is subject to an agreement between the institution and an employer or government program.
CANDIDATES WISHING TO REGISTER FOR THIS PROGRAM:
Applicants must be Canadian citizens, landed immigrants, or any other recognized status that entitles them to study in Quebec.
Applicants must also meet this specific admission requirement: either one of the three sequences in the mathematics discipline of Secondary 4 (Culture, Society and Technical Sequence – CST, Technical Science – TS, or Natural Sciences – SN)
- Analyze the work functions
- Adapt to computer technologies
- Interact in a professional context
- Perform the development of game or simulation applications
- Exploit the principles of object-oriented programming
- Use programming languages
- Perform Transactional Web Application Development
- Perform native application development with a database
- Exploiting a database management system
- Perform native application development without database
- Make functional improvements to a mobile app
- Ensuring the quality of a mobile app
- Implement a mobile application
- Design and develop a mobile application in a graphical environment
- Design and develop a mobile application in a database environment
- Design and develop a hypermedia mobile application in internal and global networks