ABOUT THE PROGRAM (New)
Fitness Program Leaders is a career program leading to the attainment of an Attestation of College Studies (ACS). It is designed to train students to become Fitness leaders and program managers, Certified personal trainers, and/or Exercise Professionals who will work in the field of fitness program development and management (NOC code 5254 ). In addition, graduates of this program will be certified by the SNNQ (Société Nouvelle de Naturopathie du Québec) thanks to our new partnership.
Closed captioning is available for this video. To activate subtitles, click on the “CC” button found in the lower right corner of the video frame.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What do fitness leaders and program managers do?
Fitness instructors and managers lead and train individuals and groups in fitness programs in order to help their clientele achieve their goals and/or physical needs. They are employed by community centers, sports clubs, fitness clubs, outdoor recreation centers, resorts, recreation centers, health care facilities, retirement homes, correctional facilities, government departments, private organizations, tourism associations, and other similar establishments. Or, students can start their own small businesses.
Fitness instructors and program leaders perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan and implement fitness activities
- Set up apparatus and equipment
- Demonstrate or teach fitness techniques and activities
- Handle clients with special needs
- Educate people on the quality of life (healthy lifestyles)
- Supervise fitness activities to ensure safety and administer first aid or emergency care when necessary
- Enforce safety rules and regulations
- Assists in the coordination of special events
- Schedules activities, maintain records and logs and writes reports
- May train and supervise staff
- May maintain and repair equipment
WHAT WILL THIS PROGRAM GIVE ME?
This program prepares the student to design fitness programs, master private and group training practices, and assume leadership in promoting an ethical approach to fitness and healthy living. It is designed to increase the student’s awareness of the importance of physical activity in reducing the risk of chronic disease and improving the overall quality of life. During the course of the program, students will learn about the principles and benefits of physical activity, the risk factors for common chronic diseases, and the appropriate steps to take to change their lifestyle.
AEC – Career
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
Jan 25* (Winter)
Aug 1* (Fall)
2 Years (Extended)
1 Year (Regular track)
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR
Nov 30* (Winter)
May 15* (Fall)
Why Choose this program?
The training offered by TAV College allows students to acquire useful, precise, and concrete skills in the field of fitness program development and management. The training is enriched by an integration course and an eight-week credited internship in a company where the student can demonstrate all their knowledge, know-how, and interpersonal skills and thus launch a career.
Students in this program benefit from new, modern fitness labs that have been designed to meet the demands of a professional health and fitness environment. Students are able to consolidate their theoretical knowledge with state-of-the-art equipment under the supervision of knowledgeable instructors from the industry who can guide and advise them towards a successful career.
ONE PROGRAM, MANY OPPORTUNITIES
The college offers a wide variety of fitness training to meet the needs of enthusiasts looking for a recognized, reliable, and complete certification. The program provides the student with the knowledge necessary to successfully complete certification exams offered by The YMCAs of Québec as part of its FIT Instructor Training Program:
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Functional Fitness Instructor for Seniors
And by other recognized organizations such as :
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
In addition, the Société Nouvelle de Naturopathie du Québec, an association representing naturopathic professionals, recognizes the academic training program offered by the college.
Graduates from the Fitness Program Leaders program will have completed the following competencies:
- Analyze the work function;
- Analyze the characteristics of the clientele and their needs in terms of physical fitness and maintenance;
- Develop physical fitness activities;
- Establish progressive exercise programming for various clienteles;
- Promote the services related to physical fitness activities;
- To supervise the realization of physical fitness activities;
- Associate physiological mechanisms and pathological conditions with physiotherapy needs;
- Manage health and safety risks;
- Interact in the workplace;
- Refer to the normal functioning of the human body;
- Identify the anatomical structures of the human body;
- Analyze the postures and movements of the human body;
- Adapt the therapeutic approach to situations of deficiency and disability and to different environments;
- Adapt their approach to a geriatric clientele;
- Consider the contribution of nutrients to the functioning of the human body;
- Contribute to the promotion of nutritional advice for healthy people.
According to information provided by the Government of Canada, the job prospects for Fitness Instructors in Quebec are good for the foreseeable future.
Graduates from this program may find employment under various job titles within the industry, such as*:
- Recreation technician
- Daycamp supervisor
- Riding instructor
- Fitness instructor
- Aerobics instructor
- Recreation program leader
- Ski instructor or patrol
- Gymnastics teacher
- Fitness appraiser
- Certified personal trainer
- Personal trainer
* Information provided by the Government of Canada .
Information for international students
This program is eligible for a post-graduate work permit.
For more information
Updated: April 8, 2022