Arts, Literature & CommunicationsDEC 500.AJ (Media Option)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Our Arts, Literature and Communications DEC program allows the student to become familiar with the technologies of communication. Prospective students will have an interest in media, web interactivity, design and creativity. They want to develop the skills necessary to pursue university studies in disciplines related to design, media, film, photography and / or culture.
In this multidisciplinary program, students will be exposed to theoretical as well as practical media production techniques while also gaining an in-depth approach to methods of cultural criticism. Students also build a solid foundation in various fields such as graphic and web design, blog and content creation, communication and cultural theory, photography, video production and editing, as well as digital marketing. By the end of this program, graduates will have learned the basics of most of the Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom and Dreamweaver).
The program will prepare students to:
- Understand media, their own history, and cultural diversity;
- Understand new media, national issues and the politics of the media landscape;
- Develop skills that will allow them to analyze and critique the media around them;
- Learn the techniques, languages and aesthetics of video production;
- Learn the procedures for digital video post-production;
- Become familiar with animation production and video integration;
- Produce sound production projects, visual and interactive websites, blogs and documentaries;
- Understand the evolution of media creations here and elsewhere.
GOALS OF THE GENERAL EDUCATION COMPONENT
The general education components are common to all pre-university programs and contribute to the development of twelve competencies that are associated with the three aims of college education:
- To educate students to live responsibly in society:
- Demonstrate independence and creativity in thought and action
- Demonstrate rational, critical and ethical thinking
- Develop strategies that promote reflection on their knowledge and actions
- Pursue the development of a healthy and active lifestyle
- Assume their social responsibilities
- To help students integrate cultural knowledge into their studies:
- Recognize the influence of culture and lifestyle on the practice of physical activity and sports
- Recognize the influence of the media, sciences or technology on culture and lifestyle
- Analyse works in philosophy or the humanities emanating from different historical periods and movements
- Appreciate literary and non-literary works of other artistic expressions emanating from different historical periods and movements
- To help students master language as a tool for thought, communication and openness to the world:
- Improve communication in the second language
- Master the basic rules of discourse and argumentation
- Refine oral and written communication in the language of instruction
AN ALTERNATIVE TO A SOCIAL SCIENCE OR COMMERCE DEC
Students considering future university studies in computer science or commerce are offered the option of registering for elective courses in the ALC program. By taking these courses, students satisfy the university admission requirements that are necessary for computer science or commerce programs at Quebec universities.
ADMISSION TO UNIVERSITY
The ALC program at TAV College prepares students for higher education in a wide variety of disiciplines, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Communications and / or media studies
- Foreign languages
- International development
- Secondary or primary education
- Social sciences
- Liberal arts
- Political Science
- Film Production
- Film Studies
- and much more
- The College provides state-of-the-art Mac and Microsoft computer labs. Each student has an individual workstation with access to study rooms.
- Media creation equipment is available to our 2nd, 3rd and 4th semester ALC students, including: DSLR cameras, lapel and cardioid microphones, Zoom sound recorders, lighting equipment and the latest editing software (Adobe CC).
- Students take part in the realization of their own digital portfolios as well as in conferences hosted by media professionals.