Early Childhood EducationDEC 322.A0
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
An individual who has received a college diploma in Early Childhood Education works with children from 0 to 12 years old and can take part in daycare center management. The main function of this educator is to create an environment promoting the physical, motor, cognitive, language, socio-affective and moral development of the child by establishing with them a significant affective relationship. In addition, the educator’s role is to develop, organise, lead and evaluate educational activities that promote overall child development.
Furthermore, the educator must not only ensure the health, security and well-being of the children under their care, but also see to their own health (physical and mental) by organizing a secure daycare environment where daily activities are not overwhelming and by using stress management skills.
In this respect, learning to balance and renew one’s energies through a healthy lifestyle represents an essential competency that an educator must master in order to assume their numerous responsibilities and tasks.
Additionally, the educator must develop their ability to reflect on their own practice within the context of their life-long development. A reflection on one’s practice is considered a useful means of personal and professional development in the field of education.
Students graduating in the Early Childhood Education DCS (322.A0) will be well prepared to do the following:
- Analyze the work function
- Observe the behavior of the child
- dentify the a child’s overall development needs
- Conduct their work safely in the workplace
- Establish a significant emotional relationship with children
- Intervene with regard to child health
- Ensure good nutrition for children
- Communicate in the Workplace
- Analyze the family and social context of a child to determine their effects on behavior
- Analyze the needs or provide assistance to a child
- Make use of creativity in professional interventions
- Define the pedagogical approach to adopt
- Design global development activities
- Organize and facilitate educational activities
- Work in a team
- Establish a partnership with parents and resource persons
- Take appropriate action with respect to the behaviour of children
- Develop and revise curriculum
- Arrange private child care
- Provide educational services to a group of children
Do you have any questions