ARTS, LETTERS AND COMMUNICATIONDEC 500.AJ (Media Option)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Arts and Letters program will allow the student to become familiar with the technologies of communication. Students in this program have an interest in the media, web interactivity and creativity. They want to develop the skills necessary to pursue university studies, including new media and television on the web. Students will get the opportunity to experiment with media production while gaining a more in-depth general culture.
The program will prepare students to:
- know media, their history, and diversity
- understand new media, national issues and interactivity
- develop analysis skills and criticism of media productions
- learn the techniques, languages and aesthetics of video; learn the procedures for post-production digital video
- become familiar with animation with a view to integrating video
- master the expressive processes of production web
- achieve sound productions, visual and interactive websites, blogs and DVD
- know the evolution of media creations here and elsewhere.
GOALS OF THE GENERAL EDUCATION COMPONENT
The general education components that are common to all programs and specific to the program contribute to the development of twelve competencies associated with the three aims of college education:
- To educate students to live responsibly in society:
- Demonstrate independence and creativity in thought and action
- Demonstrate rational, critical and ethical thinking
- Develop strategies that promote reflection on their knowledge and actions
- Pursue the development of a healthy and active lifestyle
- Assume their social responsibilities
- To help students integrate cultural knowledge into their studies:
- Recognize the influence of culture and lifestyle on the practice of physical activity and sports
- Recognize the influence of the media, sciences or technology on culture and lifestyle
- Analyse works in philosophy or the humanities emanating from different historical periods and movements
- Appreciate literary and non-literary works of other artistic expressions emanating from different historical periods and movementsTo help students integrate cultural knowledge into their studies
- To help students master language as a tool for thought, communication and openness to the world:
- Improve communication in the second language
- Master the basic rules of discourse and argumentation
- Refine oral and written communication in the language of instruction
AN ALTERNATIVE TO A SOCIAL SCIENCE OR COMMERCE DEC
Students considering future university studies in computer science or commerce are offered the option of registering for elective courses in economics, calculus, and linear algebra. By taking these courses in the DEC 500, students satisfy university admission requirements for computer science and commerce programs at Quebec universities.
ADMISSION TO UNIVERSITY
Choosing the Arts and Letters program at TAV college prepares students for University studies in a variety of disciplines. These include communication, journalism, translation, English, foreign languages, international development, education, history, social sciences, teaching, theatre, liberal, arts, and philosophy, to name a few.
The College provides students in the program state of the art computer labs. Each student has an individual workstation with access to study rooms. Video and film studio equipment are provided including digital cameras, microphones, and other relevant material with the most up to date digital editing software. Students take part in the realization of their own digital portfolio and in conferences offered by media professionals. They also participate in events organized by the college such as Video days, Web integration, TAV Arts and Letters Communications Fest and more.
Do you have any questions or comments?